Faculty of Arts and PhilosophyGhent UniversityBlandijnberg 25th floor, office 150.009B-9000 GentBelgium
Tel. + 33 - 6 27 82 31 93
- Post-doctoral Research Assistant, Department of Languages and Cultures of South and East Asia, BOF Grant from Ghent University (2012-15)`Jain Theories of Inference in the Light of Modern Logics'
- Doctoral dissertation under the supervision of Prof. S.Rahman, Lille3 University Grant from the French Ministry of Education (2006-11)`The art of non-one-sidedness: Dialogical study of Jain pluralism in the Prameya-kamala-mârtanda'
- Part-time teacher, Departments of Philosophy and Classical languages and cultures, Lille3 University, in Sanskrit, classical Indian philosophy, logic, Western philosophy of sciences (2006-11)
- Spoken Sanskrit Summer School with Prof. G.Mishra, Paris3 University (June 2011)
- Spoken Sanskrit Summer School with Prof. S.Das, Heidelberg University (August 2010)
- Master degree in Philosophy of logic and sciences, with Prof. S.Rahman and Dr. J.Törzsök, Lille3 University, 'The art of non-asserting: Dialogical study of Nâgârjuna's Vigrahavyâvartanî' (2001-6)
- University diplomas in Sanskrit and in Modern Greek, Lille3 University (2001-2004)
Jainism, Indian Philosophy, Western Philosophy of Logic and Epistemology
Research project: `Jain Theories of Inference in the Light of Modern Logics'
The present project aims at investigating the conception of inference in Jainism and its links with their theory of contextual reasoning. This investigation will be developed within the perspective of an intercultural dialogue between theories about reasoning and logic in classical India and contemporary Western developments in interactive and dynamic logics. This project is aiming at producing an improved Sanskrit text, as well as an English translation of a selected historical text about theory of inference: the Prameya-kamala-mârtanda, The sun that grows the lotuses of the knowable, written in the eleventh century by a digambara Jain master named Prabhâcandra (980--1065); at producing an overview on Jain notion of inference; and at developing a formal modelling of the results of this study.
This project is interdisciplinary, since it consists of a dialogue between philology, establishing Jain texts in Sanskrit and stressing what is original in a thought that has been built within a given historical, cultural and linguistic context; philosophy, considering theoretical propositions of classical India by means of a comparison with our understanding of the problems faced in the theory of argumentation and gnoseology as developed in Western tradition; and formal logic, providing modelisation tools that might shed light on some problematic aspects of the historical theories under consideration.
- (To appear) `Jain theory of inference in the Prameya-kamala-mârtanda', in Puspikâ, proceedings for the third `International Indology Graduate Research Symposium' (IIGRS)
- (2011) `Context-sensitivity in Jain strategical dialogues: A dialogical study of Siddharsigani's Commentary on the Handbook of Logic', written in collaboration with N.Clerbout and S.Rahman, Journal of Philosophical Logic, vol. 40, n.5, pp. 633-662
- (2011) `Dynamique Dialogique: Lecture d'une controverse entre logiciens jaïns et grammairiens en Inde classique', written in collaboration with M.Fontaine and S.Rahman, Kairos. Revista de Filosofia a Ciência, vol. 2, pp. 45-65
- (2010) `Non-One-Sidedness: Context-Sensitivity in Jain Epistemological Dialogues', presentation of my research activities in the Newsletter of the Center of Jaina Studies, P.Flügel and J.Leigh Foster (eds.), SOAS, University of London, pp. 37-39
- (2009) `The art of non-asserting: dialogue with Nâgârjuna', proceedings for the third `Indian Conference on Logic and its Applications', Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, vol.5378, R. Ramanujam and Sundar Sarukkai (eds.), FoLLI series, Springer, pp. 257-268
- (2004) `Dialogique temporelle et hybridation', written in collaboration S.Rahman and L.Damien, Philosophia Scientae, vol.8 cahier 2, M.Rebuschi and T.Tulenheimo (eds.), Archives Poincaré, Nancy, pp. 17-38
- Colloquium WSC `15th World Sanskrit Conference', Jain section. `Specifying rules of use for Universal Concomitance from Prabhâcandra's characterization of inference', New Delhi, 5-10 January 2012
- Symposium IIGRS `International Indology Graduate Research Symposium'. `Jain theory of inference in the Prameya-kamala-mârtanda'. Paris, 29-30 September 2011
- Workshop FMIL `Formal Models and Indian Logic', Heidelberg, 23-25 May 2011. Joint work on the formal representation of an Indian classical argumentative text
- Workshop MoFPILE `Modern formalisms for pre-modern Indian logic and epistemology'. `Jain Contex-sensitive approach to knowledge in the light of argumentative practices', Hamburg, 4-6 June 2010
- Workshop DiG `Dialogues and Games: Historical Roots and Contemporary Models'. Co-organiser and speaker `Tutorials on Indian Logic', Lille, 8-9 February 2010
- Seminar for the linguists and informaticians of the research unity `SIGNES'. `Signification Dialogique des opérateurs temporels : lecture d'une controverse entre logiciens jaïns et grammairiens en Inde classique', Bordeaux, 11 January 2010
- Workshop `A day of Indian Logic'. `Epistemic Contextualism and Jain theory of knowledge assertions' with P.VanOrmondt (ILLC); and `Jain Logic: a Dialogical perspective' with N.Clerbout (STL), Amsterdam, 2 November 2009
- Colloquium `Games, Dialogues and Interactions' within the activities of the ANR PRELUDE. `Dynamique Dialogique: Lecture d'une controverse entre logiciens jaïns et grammairiens en Inde classique', Paris, 28-30 September 2009
- Colloquium WSC `14th World Sanskrit Conference', Jain section. `Prabhâcandra's sabdanaya: criticizing the grammarians from a logical point of view', Kyôto, 1-5 September 2009
- Colloquium ICLA `The third Indian Conference on Logic and its Applications'. `The art of non-asserting: dialogue with Nâgârjuna', Chennai, 9-11 January 2009
- Workshop `logiques indiennes', EHESS. `L'argumentation en contexte : dialogue avec les Jaïns', Paris, 21 November 2008
- Seminar `Référence', STL. Organiser and speaker: `Le problème de la référence intentionnelle chez les Jaïns', Lille, 11 June 2008
- Workshop `Autour de la ludique, du dialogue et des interactions' within the ANR PRELUDE. `L'art de ne pas asserter : dialogue avec Nâgârjuna', Autrans (Grenoble), 21-23 May 2008
- Seminar `La pratique du commentaire sanskrit', EHESS. `Le aabda-naya jaïn : critique des grammairiens d'un point de vue logique', Paris, 11 February 2008
- Seminar `Traduction', STL. `Traduction et spécificités du système formel d'ancrage : le cas du sanskrit', Lille, 9 November 2007
- Colloquium `The Unity of Science: non traditional Approaches'. Selected to present `The unity of knowledge in the epistemology and the logic of the Jainas', Lisboa, 25-28 October 2006
- Colloquium `The Second International Congress on Reciprocal Knowledge' organised by Transcultura. `Unity in diversity: towards a dialogical reconstruction of the epistemological pluralism of the logic of the Jainas', Goa, Pondichery and New-Delhi, 17-24 October 2005
Organisation of events:
- May 2010 Franco-Belgian PhD-students conference session `Jeunes Chercheurs dans la Cité', with D.Gut and G.Subbotina. Proceedings published in the electronic revue `Mosaïque'
- February 2010: Workshop `Dialogues and Games: Historical Roots and Contemporary Models', with A.Popek, S.Uckelman and D.Porello, within the network `Dynamic and dialogical approaches to historical logic' (DDAHL) funded by the `Frans-Nederlandse Academie' (FRNL)
- 2009-2010 Interdisciplinary and international seminar `Interprétation', with L.Keiff. Proceedings published in the electronic revue `Methodos'
- 2009-2010 Conferences of A.Chatterjee (U.Jadavpur), P.Haag (EHESS), E.Aussant (CNRS) and N.Sinha Kapur (U.Delhi)
- 2007-2008 Interdisciplinary and international seminar `Référence', with J.Jacot
- 2005-2007 Seminar of the working group `Pragmadial', U.Lille
- Member of the Department of Languages and Cultures of South and East Asia, U.Ghent; and of the Ghent Center for Buddhist Studies
- Associate member of Savoir, Textes, Langages CNRS Research Unity 8163, U.Lille3
- Associate member of the Center of Jaina Studies, SOAS, U.London
- Member of the research network Dynamic and Dialogical approaches to Historical Logic